Author Topic: Modern Track Design  (Read 17627 times)

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
Re: Modern Track Design
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
Great to see some good discussion going. Time will tell what happens with track design i guess. Will the talked about tracks change to give them back some more flow, or will other tracks follow suit and build up their tracks? Will be interesting.

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
I haven't had the opportunity to ride Beenleigh since it has been changed. I have ridden Pine Rivers a couple of times at open day and club level. The second straight at PR is the one that gets me worried. There just need to be a little more back side on the centre double. Tend to fly off it a little right now.
The third straight is a challenge, but I feel with a bit more time on the track I will get it sorted out. I find that I like the challenge of getting it right. I love the last straight and the new start hill.
43 and still learning.

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
Wouldn't you know it. I stacked on the second straight at Pine Rivers last Friday night. Apologies to the 3 guys that ran into my crash, especially the one that came away with a damaged bike. I was going faster than my skill level allowed.   :o  :-\  :'(

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
Damn, sorry to hear Moggy. She is a bit sketchy through there.

bmxbandit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
First up I would like to clarify that I am not a member of any of the clubs who's tracks have been criticised in this thread.  But look at the results that their riders consistently achieve and they are doing something right.  I suspect the evolution of their tracks is a contributing factor?

bigkid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
i have always said FLOW =FAST=FUN...some tracks seem to be taking the fun out of racing by making them way too technical.if you have to put your brakes on or clench your butt in a race then something must be wrong.i don't like the idea of a pro straight being the favourite line out of a corner.i race bmx not super cross! maybe there should be separate qld state titles? one held at sleemans and one at a club track....however i do like a track that has variety and some safe but technical sections.at some tracks the track builders don't even ride,which i think is a bit silly.
i agree some kids will need these more technical tracks to further develop thier skills however the regular club members far out number these riders.like someone else said we can't build a track for 1% of members...

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 01:22:03 AM »
First up I would like to clarify that I am not a member of any of the clubs who's tracks have been criticised in this thread.  But look at the results that their riders consistently achieve and they are doing something right.  I suspect the evolution of their tracks is a contributing factor?

Most clubs have riders that do well at state, national and international level. Point is moot. Everyone has access to Sleemans, so for those that think that is the best way to develop their riders and riding skills, go ride there. Supercross is only a small part of racing for an even smaller percentage of riders. Club level racing should be there to develop the sport as a whole. From kids riding K-Mart bikes, to Dads getting out there and riding for the first time. Some of the tracks out there are not suitable for this in my opinion.

BigKid puts it perfectly. Flow = Fast = Fun !!!

There are also other ways to develop jumping skills. Do it the old fashioned way and build or go ride some trails.

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
So, what did everyone think of the revised Beenleigh track?? I personally think it was great. Was a good shootout round. Will be interesting to see how the new seal that the track has on it holds up on a public track. I hope it holds up well cos the track today was super smooth and fun. Hope it stays that way. Hearing rumours of several other tracks looking at also sealing their track surfaces. If it works and doesn't break down, a lot less maintenance would be required, and tracks would stay pretty much perfect year round. I hear that it does shred you like sandpaper if you crash on it, but that seems to be the only downside.

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
I decided weeks ago not to race at Beenleigh, I don't regret it, agree the surface is great, hopefully it is long lasting and durable.
From the sideline I found the racing to be quite boring to watch though, even the pro races were low speed, low skill and minimal passing...sorry but just my opinion.
Bring on Ipswich...

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
Definitely a fair point big block. Isn't a high speed track, Watching from the sidelines makes it look even worse, not sure why.

intense

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
I agree Big Block

PKaye

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
Modern track designs have been talked about for a while. In Oz after the worlds in Adelaide there was this thought process that everything needs to be deep and steep. This thought process I feel has been the contributing factor of people leaving the sport or moving from the clubs that have gone this way. The US continue to produce good fast tracks that cater for all levels of riding. The pros don't whinge they just race. Start hills are small and you don't see any 5m or above gates there except for Chula training centre, yet their riders consistantly do better on the world stage.
In Sydney, Macarthur has always catered for the majority of riders and as such has seen great success over the last few years with their open meeting sttracting an average of 500-600 entries. Each of the last few years has seen an exciting pro final where the lead has changed multiple times during the race. Membership continues to grow, the club is healthy and people like riding here. Penrith and Liverpool went the deep and steep way and ost members in the process. With this in mind Liverpool have just finished a deliberate toning down of their track and now people are raving about it.
It wassad to see the pics from Melba on the weekend with Ambulances lined up. This is not the way it should be.

Cyclops

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
Melba was the worst track I have been to, and yes there were crashes across all age classes and a steady stream of ambulances. Nine year olds were trying to jump the "hidden pro straight".

Their were three Police officers at the gate (they were hiding in the parked cars with a speed gun) and I heard them telling someone that after seeing the carnage the sport should be banned.

Definitely wasn't a good look for the sport  :(

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
Great posts guys. This goes to the heart of why this thread was started in the first place. Some more first hand examples of bad track design doing more harm than good, which is never good to hear about. Totally agree with your points about the US tracks, with all the tracks on their national circuit being very fast and flowing. The sport is in such a great spot at the moment, being a high profile Olympic sport and having very high rider counts at every race meet. We don't need to be forcing people out of the sport through injury, or scaring people away from the sport because of the possible injuries. Big, steep and deep jumps have their place, and that is on a Supercross track. Leave those obstacles away from club tracks, and focus on building a good, fast flowing, fun track to ride, and the club will thrive. Maybe there should be less Pro's designing tracks, especially when the track is aimed at only challenging pro level riders ??

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »
I raced Beenleigh on the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The second straight rewarded effort put in and I was catching riders down there all day. I even pulled off a couple of very long manuals (at least for me).
 I am sure the changes to the last straight improved it, however I found it very difficult to stay fast and smooth through it.
The surface was interesting but I was copping a lot of grit in the face from the riders in front of me. Felt like more grit than from a crusher dust surface.