Author Topic: Modern Track Design  (Read 20092 times)

PKaye

• View Profile
Re: Modern Track Design
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 07:24:23 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wE-fKJZFQ

I love this video especially at 11.30 where the they say that they have never lost focus of why they were founded, to promote kids and fun!

This video was 2010, but I don't think that that philosophy has gone. In fact their tracks seem to be better and they are now more organised.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:43:31 AM by PKaye »

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
Cool vid. Hadn't seen it. Thanks for posting.

Simon32

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Warragul track in Victoria got the dreaded rebuild 3-4 years ago, we were the last old school track in vic with a 6 lane manual start, 1 jump per straight and flat berms.. Out membership grew from 5 to almost 50 from 2006 to 2009.
The track was then flattened to make way for a counsil footpath and track totally rebuilt. The design was made (but sadly wasn't adhered too) and track work begun with the aid of a pro rider.. Finished product is $189000 white elephant and  something big and deep that won't attract riders, membership is way down again at 6 riders we use to get close to 80 riders at a club day...... Now we get none except for the couple from the 2 family's who try to run the meet.. Fair to say big and deep has killed our club..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:27:58 PM by Simon32 »

Waters29

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
It's such a shame that there seems to be no consideration of the less skilled or older riders these days. I was a member of Melba track as I live about 5 min drive from the track. But after the rebuild I cancelled my membership and joined Tuggeranong which is a 35 min drive for me.

Iím in the 40-44 class and at my age have no intention nor the skill to jump that second straight (THE HIDDEN PRO STRAIGHT LOL) and that means I simply canít race at the track without risking leaving the place in an ambulance, or smashing on my brakes out of the first corner.

On a Friday night club meeting each week about 6-8 of us older blokes show up, do gates then leave before racing starts, as we all feel the same itís just too dangerous.

I am the first to admit that the second straight would be amazing fun if I could jump it, and looks fantastic at the ACT titles when all the pros and skilled young riders jump it. But for the rest of us riders who love to race but donít have the required skills to jump it well itís horrible.

Why canít there be a compromise? I have been trying to get this to happen for 18 months and will continue to do so. But I am constantly told if we want our kids to progress to the next level we need this track. I am very much for our young kids being able to develop there skills and regularly take part in the ACT state training just to be able to ride with them. But CHAMPIONS like Caroline Buchanon and Lee Darrell didnít have this track growing up and they managed to do pretty well, so if its not exactly the same as it is now I am sure our young riders will still develop!

Im not saying bull doze the whole straight, I am just saying surely there can be a compromise for all skill levels. If not well isnt that what Pro straights are for?

I chose not to race the ACT titles last weekend because of the track which I know was my choice but itís a choice I am happy with. Go and ask any rider above 30 years old what they think of the track and I bet you get the same opinion as myself.

The tracks fantastic if you are aged between 14 to Pro but for the rest of us forget it

Rob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:08:22 AM by Waters29 »

PKaye

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
I jump the second straight at Melba and don't find it fun!!!! I crashed on it at the last ACT's and decided that I would not ride there again. If you don't jump the straight you have to be on the anchors and what is the point of that??

Waters29

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »
I jump the second straight at Melba and don't find it fun!!!! I crashed on it at the last ACT's and decided that I would not ride there again. If you don't jump the straight you have to be on the anchors and what is the point of that??

Totally agree Phill and so does all the older guys here in Canberra. Any track you have to hit your brakes hard at just to be able to stay on your bike is not worth riding.

Its also scary to sit and watch the younger kids say under 10 go down this straight as they are lucky to get through each lap after being spat left and right up and down, lucky they still have crazy reflexes not like us older blokes :)

I trully hope something gets done about it but just can't see it.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:12:01 PM by Waters29 »

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
People saying that their kids need to be challenged with their riding therefore build these style of tracks need to get a clue. Take a cue from where this sport originates. Motocross and Supercross. You don't find National level supercross sections on club motocross tracks, and for good reason.  Why BMX track designers feel the need to do this infuriates me. Sorry to hear you guys refused to race your local state titles due to the dangers involved in riding that track. That is no good for anyone. Hearing that there were a lot of injuries as well has got to open a few peoples eyes and make them realise something isn't right.

With all the coverage BMX gets worldwide these days, why aren't people wanting to build tracks similar to the USA BMX national tracks. All those tracks have looked amazing so far this year. Super flowy, fast, and that equals fun. Heaps of different lines through every section. One line through a section, ie, jump or die, is no good for anyone. Leave that stuff where it belongs, on national level BMX Supercross tracks. Once you are at that level, you will get more than enough chance to ride that stuff. Or go build some dirt jumps old school style, and jump them.

PKaye

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
I truly believe that it is BMXA who is at fault here. Their ruling that you can't run a UCI round unless you have a 5m gate etc makes clubs push their tracks to ridiculous levels. I don't see the US running their UCI rounds on 5m gates, so where did BMXA get this from? It was funny that Bob from Doublecross in the US asked the question when he was watching the Aussies from Brisbane last year. His question was 'why are you guys riding on a supercross track for Nationals?'
The only way to get change is to lobby your clubs to fix it and bring everything back into harmony!!! LOL

ps I love ripping down a 5m gate so no I am not afraid of them. I just think they produce laziness with people relying on the hill rather than power out of the gate!

hut hill

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »

BMX

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
I truly believe that it is BMXA who is at fault here. Their ruling that you can't run a UCI round unless you have a 5m gate etc makes clubs push their tracks to ridiculous levels.

2014 BMX Victoria State Titles will be a stand alone UCI event.

Host venue is Knox BMX club...start hill complies with UCI requirement of 2.5m start hill for a C1 class international event.

Munchkin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 08:03:18 AM »
2014 BMX Victoria State Titles will be a stand alone UCI event.

Host venue is Knox BMX club...start hill complies with UCI requirement of 2.5m start hill for a C1 class international event.

Yeah, but it seems the governing bodies can bend the rules when they want.  Look at the Aussies in Perth, Held in an equestrian centre!  Side wall of the Arena was the side line.  I know I was put into the wall by a guy who did a bad manual and hit me.  Track was barely 240m long and extremely unsafe.  Nearly all passing was done by T-Boning the person in front of you as the corners were WAY too tight to carry any speed.  It could not have been compliant but they still ran it there!

Knox is an example of what this thread is about.  Main doubles on 1st straight is jump or apply brakes and hold on.  3rd straight is aimed directly at the Elite riders, Jump through it, do some extremely deep long manuals or do as 90% of the riders do, pump through it and hold on for dear life!!!  Even the A Pro riders struggle on this straight!  Where is the fun, excitement in that, for the rider or the spectator???

fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »
I see Blue lake have changed the 1st big double into a bigger tabletop, very cool,

Waters29

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
I see Blue lake have changed the 1st big double into a bigger tabletop, very cool,

That is cool. I have been asking the Melba club to change the main problem of the HIDDEN PRO STRAIGHT which is the second double into a table top. This will not change anything at all for the people who want to jump the straight as they just jump as normal. But for every body else at least it means we can get through it safely and not have to slam on the brakes while dropping down the 13 foot dip before it.

I asked last week that since its now going to be 2 years until the next open meeting back at the Melba track, can we now fill it it and make it a table top and if need be remove the dirt for the ACT titles. Lets think about the club members for the next 2 years.

Fingers crossed but im sure it wont happen.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:17:35 AM by Waters29 »

fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Your spot on mate, wont change anything for the guys and girls who can, but would encourage others to have a go with out the injury factor, good luck.

fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »