Author Topic: Road clip shoes for racing  (Read 4506 times)

Big Block

• View Profile
Road clip shoes for racing
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
I have been pondering this for quite a while, and after seeing several of the QLD pros who run road pedals unclip and then take an eternity to clip back in and their race is all but done!

Why are they used, surely the advantages that are achieved are quickly outweighed by problematic clipping back in?

Any thoughts?

Moggy361

• View Profile
Re: Road clip shoes for racing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
My understanding is that while it is difficult to clip in,  you are much less likely to clip out. Also the shoe is far more rigid on the pedal offering more direct drive.

Cyclops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
One of the Qld ten year old boys has been using road clips for three years, never unclips except for a couple of times when the cleat was worn right down. Thats the only con to using road clips, walking around wears the cleats down and in his case the cleats last about three months.

My theory about the pro's unclipping is because they don't know exactly what they are buying. 
Pedals and cleats come in different degrees of float, most are 0, 3, 6, or 9 degrees of float.
The best option for BMX is 0 float, the foot is held securely, also because of less lateral movement the foot produces more direct power, however BMX riders (and a lot of road cyclists) don't know that there is a choice and tend to get the cleats with 6 or 9 degrees of float which gives the foot more sideways movement making it relatively easy to unclip. 

Yes it can be difficult to clip back in but after frequent use it becomes second nature, just watch the ten year old I mentioned, today at the Queensland titles the wind almost blew him off the gate just as it went down and he had to unclip to steady himself, he clipped back in so fast no one noticed and he went on to win that moto.

BMXRACERS13

• When only ONE can do!
    • View Profile
    • ONE Bicycles
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
All my kids ride with road pedals and cleats. The larger platform, the weight and the amazing Carbon Shoes that are available are far superior to MTB or BMX products. I have tried almost every combination of shoe, cleat and pedal and finally got to road setup as the ultimate setup.

People do say once you unclip on the road pedals it is hard to get in, my experience is that if you unclip your gone anyway. Road pedals like anything are easy once you get used to them. More contact with the pedal is paramount for power distribution.

My daughter wont ride anything else!
ONE Bicycles Australia would like to thank ONE, SNAP, Lizard Skins, ECI, Bikecorp and A Team Distribution for all their support.