Author Topic: Open Days Trophies Vs Cash  (Read 5380 times)

Big Block

• View Profile
Open Days Trophies Vs Cash
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
Interested in peoples thoughts.  In regards to cash prizes or trophies at open days, what are your preferences and why?

bmx4life97

• View Profile
Re: Open Days Trophies Vs Cash
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:56:24 AM »
As a rider I prefer Cash as I have too many trophies all ready that just collect dust.  The only open day that I do like the trophies in is the Bundy Cane Toad Classic as it is just one of the most sort after trophies.  It's a great weekend up there.  If I want trophies I race Title events.  Cooloola's open day suffered because of pre nom and trophies as well as the cut off date was during the State Titles.
Don't get me wrong the Trophies looked awesome but I believe that they should be for Title Events.  Open days should be for money unless your a sprocket.
This is just my opinion each to there own but I wont go to an open event that just has trophies.

Aussieruss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »
Trophies, Plates, Medals, Ribbons.

Nothing is better than being able to look back at your prizes from 5,10,20-30 years ago.

The money has long gone but prizes from the mid 80's still bring back great memories.

Hopefully I will look back at this years trophies in another 30 years with the same uplifting smile & fond memories of racing.

I agree that trophies take up a lot of room ( or fill a few storage boxes) but plates dont take up much room at all.

When you ask most racers to show you something that gives them great memories of past events I am yet to see someone pull out a $20 note as their prized poession.

Russ...

bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
i think plates at open days are a great idea. callide valley did them for top 4 places per class. was awesome to take home something to look at other than an envelope. hope to see more clubs do it when they dont do trophies

Commissioner28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:31:14 AM »
Ideally this is what i would prefer, Award plates at Open days, Trophies or similar at state or National Titles and Cash and Award Plate in Pro Classes.

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
A great write up on this topic in the recent BMXpress. I am of the strong opinion that the only classes that should win money should be the pro classes. For several reasons. The biggest one being that, that is what defines a "Pro" class. A professional makes money at what they are doing. Some very good points already made in this thread as well. Commissioner's proposal for prizes is pretty much spot on. Also, from what I have seen, the only ones claiming to want prizemoney in the age classes, especially the younger ones, are the riders who are riding those classes.

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
This may be very left field, but what about instead of cash for winnings, how about gift certificates for your local bike shop, a win win, money for kids to upgrade bikes and gear, and a stimulus package for the Aussie bike shop community?

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »
This may be very left field, but what about instead of cash for winnings, how about gift certificates for your local bike shop, a win win, money for kids to upgrade bikes and gear, and a stimulus package for the Aussie bike shop community?

Also a great idea Big block !!

Commissioner28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
I like that idea. BMXMAD and Trail n Track always support Victorian race meetings, this will give them a bit more return on investment.

Jase.harto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
After riding for two years in vic, I've got some cool plates and trophies to take back to qld to remember my time down here. If it wasn't for commissioner 28 they could be a place higher though.
Cash was good in qld but I generally won $5 for placing if lucky I got a third which was still less than nom fees. But I'm not racing to make money.

Agree with plates and trophies for state and above races.

I like big blocks idea of gift Certs. A win win for your bike shop and your bike being blinged up.
Will take me some time to get a decent store credit at $5 a race meet.

Another question is:
Which is more cost effective to the club for running a open day?
Trophies/plates or cash

Will never make every one happy.

semipro74

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
I'm all for racing for trophies if it lowers the nom cost. Noms are now $25 - $30 for most open days here in QLD. Doesn't sound like much, but when you have 2 kids that race (1 racing 2 classes) and a mum and dad that ride, it is becoming quite expessive. So much so that we as parents are now sitting out the more expensive races.
I know the use of transponders push the price up a little, but like Jase.harto states, I also am lucky to pick up a 3rd, mostly lucky to make 4-8.
Most entries for the sprocket class, where they recieve a trophy and a goodies bag, is normally $15. If this is an indication of how much it would cost for all classes then I'm all for trophies.
I wonder what they would put in the goodies bag for us old fellas? ;)

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »
Crossover to another thread.
 Are you prepared to pre nom to get trophies instead of cash? Much easier for the club to write up envelopes and then when only 3 people turn up to a class put the money back in the kitty for next time. How many trophies will you order? Top 8? Then what happens when 6 people turn up. Two trophies that have to be relabeled for next time. Trophies that are half decent cost about 15-20 dollars each once engraved. Not really the cheap option and may cause more problems than it solves.
I am usually quick enough to be top 3 in my class which makes it cheaper for me to go racing for cash. Means more racing for me.
Just my thoughts.

J.

Aussieruss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
Crossover to another thread.
 Are you prepared to pre nom to get trophies instead of cash? Much easier for the club to write up envelopes and then when only 3 people turn up to a class put the money back in the kitty for next time. How many trophies will you order? Top 8? Then what happens when 6 people turn up. Two trophies that have to be relabeled for next time. Trophies that are half decent cost about 15-20 dollars each once engraved. Not really the cheap option and may cause more problems than it solves.
I am usually quick enough to be top 3 in my class which makes it cheaper for me to go racing for cash. Means more racing for me.
Just my thoughts.

J.

Hey J.

In Victoria all OPEN race meets are pre nom & transponder run events that close about a week before the event.

I would think that this helps with ordering of prizes in Vic.

Russ...