Author Topic: Spectator shades - Nerang Internationals  (Read 9405 times)

Twintorque

Spectator shades - Nerang Internationals
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
So, does anyone know if the Nerang club has come up with a way to resolve this issue, and prevent the Outright Debacle happening again  that this event is renowned for? The only reference is one small line on the flyer, "Venue open for permanent tent set up at 8.00am on Friday 3rd, January". This does not look like it has been addressed at all. This is not a Southern Zone open day. You have MANY more people wanting to set up their shades than you have space for. Many people will try hard to do the right thing again. For me that means, getting there early and waiting at the gate, then entering the track area in an orderly and respectful manner. From the gate. Unfortunately what you are going to have again is; people marking areas with paint a week before the event, then claiming land rights on the day; people jumping and climbing through fences to get into the track before those who have waited at the gate for 4 hrs trying to do the right thing; Half a dozen shades set up before this time, but only for Nerang people which only adds to the confusion because it's not mentioned anywhere that that is happening; people from interstate threatening physical violence like they did this year or maybe it will take some  fool to actually start swinging punches before something is done about this?!? When you have people from all over the country coming to the track with the most limited spectator area out of any track in SE QLD, you are going to have this problem. The rules for setting up shades at this event, need to be well thought out and clearly defined and then enforced on the day, or it's going to be a huge mess again and more people will stay away from the event because of it.

Perhaps a forum like this is the best place to generate some workable ideas for fixing this problem? Instead of ignoring it?

I reckon I might just buy a Nerang club social membership, and sit with them. So much easier. Maybe everyone should Lol.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:48:22 PM by Twintorque »

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
Re: Spectator shades - Nerang Internationals
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
Hahaha land rights. Perfect description. Will be interesting to see what ideas are in place. Surely there must be some. I thought the same as you did when I saw the flyer and the note regarding tent set up.

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
Why should Nerang have to come up with measures?  Maybe the ADULTS here should take some responsibility and not be immature morons!

You would like to think that would be the case, but previous experience will tell you that that isn't going to happen. Too many self indulgent people and it all turns into every man for himself.

If Nerang want to leave it till 8am Friday for tent set up, that's fine, as long as nobody gets preferential treatment setting up beforehand or roping off areas.

Twintorque

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »
Why should Nerang have to come up with measures?  Maybe the ADULTS here should take some responsibility and not be immature morons!

Clearly I agree Bert. However, people will always be people. It happens every year. If you dont rock up 4hrs before the "Approved time" and send children under and through the fences to strategically place shades without technically "setting them up",  then scale the fences and run like an immature moron to get into the precinct, you wont find space left to put a shade up. Like I said, many people try to do the right thing here and line up at the gate with the misguided belief that by doing that they would be treated fairly. How wrong these people are, you line up with the others who try to do the right thing only to see swarms of people pouring over the fences the second the gate is opened. People do it, because those running the event let them do it. Some (I wont name them but they know who they are) clubs even plan this strategically, with a large group of them setting up in the same place between turns 1 and 3 every year. They get in there WELL before anyone could by doing the right thing. It is Nerang that is hosting the event, it is Nerang that needs to resolve the problem. Lets talk about the Nerang club members who laughed in the faces of people who tried to bring up the issue with them directly on the day last time if you want to talk about immature morons shall we?

I dont have any complaints with the host club having an area set aside for them. But it adds to the problem, when this is not made known and people see other people inside the precinct busy setting up shades before the stated time and cant figure out what is going on. Put the host club shades up earlier in the week so everyone can see it.

People are always going to read between the lines with rules. If they are not well defined, people come up with more inventive ways to circumvent them without breaking them. I think that is it very poor form when parents bringing their youngsters to this event for the first time, have to wait between moto's in the tiny bit of shade they can find behind a dumpster behind the canteen because you have no chance of putting a shade up anywhere within the precinct unless you are prepared to get there at 4am on Friday and climb fences

One simple fix is to not permit people to climb over or through the fences! Clearly state that people can only enter the precinct throught the gates! How hard would that be to write on the flyer? Then take action against those who do. Make it known they will be banned from the precinct, or race points taken off any recognised riders or parents of riders. Something like that. Make that clearly known, and people will do the right thing. Believe it or not, most people want to do the right thing! But each year, more people see what you have to do to actually be able to set a shade up inside the track area, so more and more people do what they have to do because the responsible way to do it, is actually the Wrong way.

Another thing that would help, is to Figure out how many 3x3 shades can safely fit in the area, and give each one a registered/numbered tag as it comes through the front gate. Then cut it off when the max number is reached. Then kick anyone out who sets up a shade without bringing it through the front gate. No disputes. You could even pre-allocate spots if you want to go that far, club by club. That way people will share with others from their club. Most are happy to do that. There would be no added cost with something like that. But seriously? Anything is better that what Nerang club does, which is Nothing.

Crowd control and management is a massive part of any large event. But at this event it really is an epic failure.

Cyclops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
Get a bloody life, or find something decent to bitch about. I have been to this event for the past six years and have never had a problem and no I don't sit at the gate waiting to jump in. I usually arrive around 10am and always find a spot.
I just don't bother sitting on the edge of the track.

Nerang just hosted the state titles without a problem.

Twintorque

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »
Yes they did just host the state tiles, and a fine job they did too.

This problem was well resolved because there were no spectator shades allowed in the precinct at the state titles Cyclops.

I assure you that being threatened with physical violence in front of your kids at a family sports event is something decent to "Bitch" about. This is a big problem that always overshadows this event. To date you are the only person I have heard that isn't part of Nerang club, (I'm assuming) that thinks this problem is not real.

Telling people to get a life, when they are trying to help resolve a valid issue does nothing to help fix the problem mate.

Chicken Dinner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
Couldn't agree more, we attend this event every year and there needs to be a better system put in place. Great topic Twintorque, good on you for looking for a better solution because anything has to be better than the sh*tfight that occurs every year! To all the selfish people that do jump or cut the fence...pull your heads in and do the right thing.
If winning isn't everything then why do they keep score?

Twintorque

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »
More like A system should be put in place. It is dissappointing to see that on the surface it would seem they have not addressed the problem...again.

Im sure that the fine people of the Nerang club would rather everyone remember only positive's out of their premier  event, and i'm also sure they would be happy if they could shake the "The best event at the worst venue" title, that it currently holds.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:57:51 PM by Twintorque »

bmxbandit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
This year will be our 11th consecutive visit to Nerang.  We have never sought to enter the childish melee that is the rush for a spot for our shade.BUT we have never had an issue either with finding a spot towards the back and wandering to the front to watch the races we want to watch.

In my view if everyone wants to be able to see then the only outcome is that we start to charge admission to events of this popularity and suitable facilities are put in place. 

I doubt this would be palatable to the majority either hence the current situation will prevail. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:00:50 PM by bmxbandit »

smiley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »
ha ha good luck

hut hill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
Is this event promoted elsewhere? Have attended  twice before and it was good.

How are the new BMX racers in other states going to find out about this event?

Twintorque

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
This year will be our 11th consecutive visit to Nerang.  We have never sought to enter the childish melee that is the rush for a spot for our shade.BUT we have never had an issue either with finding a spot towards the back and wandering to the front to watch the races we want to watch.

In my view if everyone wants to be able to see then the only outcome is that we start to charge admission to events of this popularity and suitable facilities are put in place. 

I doubt this would be palatable to the majority either hence the current situation will prevail.

Charging money for admission or charging for setting up shades/large marquees is something that people have mentioned in passing before as possible solutions. It would fix the issue, as it does at titles events, but at an increased cost. No one wants to bear more cost, so you are right it wouldn't be palatable. But I dont believe the current situation is palatable to many people either.

There are those who are content to come a bit later on the Friday and find a bit of space right at the back somewhere like yourself, or just find someone they know and sit with them. Clearly you and others choose to do this because of the 'Childish Melee' that opening time on the friday degenerates into every year. This childish Melee is what needs to be resolved. This would enable people like yourself, to turn up early and be actually able to sit in sight of the track one year if you so desire, without the childish Melee.

Some simple rules put in place and enforced would fix the problem without increased cost. I dont understand why Nerang club does nothing to address this issue at this event. Some simple rules whereby the people who do want to turn up early and sit near the track are allowed to do this on a first come, first serve bases. Like it SHOULD be. Not a: 'First to push gazebo's under the fence/scale the fence/run like an idiot/Spray paint the ground/Threaten physical violence because you think you have more right to sit somewhere because your riding in rounds 1&2' - First served basis. Which is the system Nerang seems to be Nurturing.

They have been made aware of it in recent years. If they do nothing and someone is injured because of their failure to implement satisfactory controls, the Club or the organisers of the event may just be held liable. This is a worst case scenario of course, but it is unfortunately how public liability works.

Does anyone else have any idea's?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:42:39 AM by Twintorque »

Twintorque

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
Is this event promoted elsewhere? Have attended  twice before and it was good.

How are the new BMX racers in other states going to find out about this event?

Through their home state Events Calender I guess, or word of mouth from their club.

Aussieruss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that this should really be that hard to resolve.

In Victoria for the open state titles entry numbers by state & also by club are worked out.

Weeks before the meet a map is able to be viewed on the BMXV website & social media like Facebook showing what areas are allocated to each club/state.

If one club has more riders than another club it gains a percentage more room.

Sure its not perfect but it seems to work to a large degree.

I would have thought that something like this could work even if tent space is allocated by state as a percentage of entries per state.

Russ...

True Temper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
Yes