Author Topic: 2014 Shootout Series  (Read 21242 times)

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Shootout Series
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
I wasn't too concerned about the transponder issue at the shootout series until I was scored a 4th when I definitely was in front when we crossed the finish line. Should have been a third. No confusion when transponders being used. I have already hired a transponder. $53 for the year is very good.

Twintorque

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 12:11:52 AM »
I question the value of the SEQ Shoot out series. Each round is a massive day, with long breaks between moto's. Gate sessions are packed, due to the huge turnout which ensures only a few rides of the track are possible before racing starts.

What it does give, is experience on different tracks and a chance for riders to mix it up with more of the faster riders in their age group between title events.

Personally, I feel experience on different tracks is best achieved by just turning up to some of their club nights; and if its stiffer competition you want between title events, race up a couple of age groups!

The whole series stinks of a money grab by BMX SQ. The days are far too long, and the racing does not seem to do much more for riders than give them 5 hot laps of a not so familiar track in a 12 hr period,
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:13:40 AM by Twintorque »

DSR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »
I don't see how you can call it a money grab by BMX SQ, its far from it?. $11 for 5 races is the cheapest you will get all year, and you get a prize at the end. Running an event of that nature and turning moto's around in 1Hr I thought was pretty damn good with 550+ nominations.
Many parents pay $20+ nomination fees for their kids at an open day to get 3 races and miss a semi or final, this gives them a chance to race novice without the pressure of the usual faster kids, or the faster kids to race up.
There's a lot of good things about this series, great start to the year, many different ways to approach it depending on what your goals are throughout the year and what level you ride at.
Numbers prove they are doing something right. Apart from Beenleigh last year when it was 35+ degrees and not many left before 10pm, the shootout rounds since have been great in my opinion.
Not sure about your 12 hours either, maybe you allowed travel to Toowoomba? More like 8 hour window from sprocket practice to final moto.

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:16 PM »
Twintorque no one is forcing you to attend, you don't have to race them all, or any for that matter, I thought the speed of motos last week was great, as DSR mentioned there were a lot of nominated riders and the officials pushed the races through very well in my mind, the nomination process was very quick, I had 5 practice laps with plenty of time left over.

$11 for 5 motos is great value for money, with a gift/prize at the end for those that compete at 5 of the 6 events is far from a money grab in my eyes...now if you want my opinion on what is a money grab then look no further than the Aussies...holy hell!!

Rather than complain about the series why not front up to a committee meeting and get involved with BMXSQ, and be the change you wish to see....

Twintorque

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »
You lads make it hard to have an opinion that differs from your own! Add up the total cost to ride every round then compare that to the measly awards given to the kids at the end. Compare that to an open day where awards are given for each day, and the clubs get their due from running the event, not BMXSQ. I know where I would rather see the proceeds going. When attending these rounds, one has to factor in travel time, setting up, nominating plus practice and eventually racing. It's all part of it. Each round is a VERY long day, with very little reward or incentive for younger riders.  Even after completing all the rounds. It does generate a heap of cash for BMXSQ though! Good for them.

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »
Would some one please post a link to the results. Apparently I am too stupid to find them.  ;D >:( ;D

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
Would some one please post a link to the results. Apparently I am too stupid to find them.  ;D >:( ;D

Jeremy, Join bmxsouthqueensland on Facebook or try this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsZJaWUCt4ZeUgySGFXY2N1WlU/preview?pli=1

bigkid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
And ezeventing...Moggy
The reward for racing the shootout is racing its self.The competition in my group is just as tough as the state titles imo and every race counts.
Little return for your money? You have to realise that if 15 kids do the 5 rounds to qualify then that is 15 prises given out not just 1st,2nd and 3rd as would be on an open day.
Each day is just as long as most open days.Thats means that bmx is alive and well in SQ.
The money rasied by this event is put back into bmx,not just pocketed.
I THINK ITS GREAT.BRING ON LOGAN.

Cyclops

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:06 AM »
Where does the money go??  apart from the camp for the kids at Somerset dam each year.
As for the prizes, a plaque for the riders who compete five rounds costs about three dollars each.

And they still can't get the scoring right, lots of complaints about placings happening.

Queensland used to be the cutting edge of BMX but now we are falling behind. Its time to get transponders into the clubs.

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
Where does the money go??  apart from the camp for the kids at Somerset dam each year.
As for the prizes, a plaque for the riders who compete five rounds costs about three dollars each.

And they still can't get the scoring right, lots of complaints about placings happening.

Queensland used to be the cutting edge of BMX but now we are falling behind. Its time to get transponders into the clubs.

As I said in an earlier post-

"Rather than complain about the series why not front up to a committee meeting and get involved with BMXSQ, and be the change you wish to see...."

Twintorque

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
I would much rather see this series run like the NSW state series. Just nominate 6 open days on the calendar as qualifying rounds and score them at the end. That way the clubs are still raising well needed revenue from nominations, not just canteen sales, from hosting each rounds.

Big Block, I for one am reluctant to step up to be a part of an organisation that I believe is a relic of a bygone era. There is no real reason for zones in QLD, or BMXSQ as a corporate identity to exist at all in my book, but I will concede that this view is debatable to say the least, nonetheless it is my view.

Also, I don't see my or anyone else's views on this subject as complaints. I see it as quality feedback on a subject up for discussion, in an open and honest forum. this is the best way to gather feedback. Do with it as you will if you or someone you know happens to be a member of an organisation that is the subject of discussion.

BMX is doing very well in QLD, as it has traditionally however, that is due to the quality of the riders. Certainly not the competence of the governing bodies.

Edit: In hindsight that's probably a bit unfair to the volunteers who put in the hours. It's more the framework and structure of the sport in QLD, not so much the people who do a top job adhering to it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:30:08 PM by Twintorque »

DSR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »
I agree with Twintorque that it is a long day, but I admire the Toowoomba riders who have to travel every time rather that me just visiting twice a year.
My kids and I race BMX because we love it, not to go and win money. Its not about the prize money although depending on your age I know it is for some.
My kids would rather a Q plate or A plate rather that $50. I look at these events and see the same faces officiating and take my hat off to them for their efforts. I have been injured for 3 months, so I did my Level 1 on line, it was easy and took all of 10 minutes. I try and asist my club more while not riding, volunteered at both shootout rounds holding a flag for an hour, even with 3 kids riding. Our sport needs alot more NEW volunteers helping out it would make a massive difference. When volunteers dont get a break all day in the sun its hard not to make a mistake, but easy to sit back in the tent and complain about getting scored 4th when you came 3rd. I think Transponders would solve alot of those issues, transponders at every event would be a positive move as bmxbandit referred to, if the cost can be sensible. Maybe they should introduce - Volunteer for a moto and you get a race nomination for free, see who lines up to help out then?
You can support the events as a volunteer without signing up to a governing body.

bigkid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
ok,Saying that the zones shouldn't exsist is a bit silly.They are the ones who try to fight for the riders.Just imagine if BMXQ was in charge of the whole state and there were no zones....Those who have been in the sport for a few years know that would be a bad thing.....
Please don't give the volunteers any grief,we need them to survive,I recon they all do a great job.Occasionly they might get something wrong but,hey,we are all human.
Like Big Block said step up and be a volunteer.Even if its a club level.
I could name a few names,if they left all at once bmx in sq would be in trouble....we need more new volunteers.
i won't go on any more...

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »
Who said the shootout series is dying? A record turnout in shootout history yesterday at Logan.  Tents put up everywhere. Novice classes were well subscribed. 3 gates in 35-39 20" with a top quality field. 7 gates of pro men. Top day all around and packed up to leave before 8pm.

Just a side note though. If you nom in a novice class, you should surely be riding on flat pedals?

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Yep, agree Moggy, was a great event. Track was great, and some great racing all day. On the flat pedals, that should be a rule for novice classes, not just an expectation. I still race on flats, and not sure I'll ever ride clips. You are well beyond novice to even considering using clip pedals in my opinion.