Author Topic: 2014 Shootout Series  (Read 21233 times)

bmx4life97

• View Profile
2014 Shootout Series
« on: December 29, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
Question is will the shootout series success continue in 2014?
Interested to hear peoples thoughts?!!!

Big Block

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Shootout Series
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »
Seeing how you have thrown up an open question, I guess you are asking for all opinions...good and bad.

I am looking forward the the shoutout as I do every year, for riders in SEQ it is 6 rounds of great racing, with arguably some of the hottest competition in the country.

I think the numbers may be a little low at a couple of the rounds, Toowoomba being one with it merely a week after Nerang and a decent travel for some.
Beenleigh will be another I believe that will suffer with numbers, I have heard a lot of talk about people dropping this round due to track surface and layout.
Likewise Hinterland may suffer the same being a decent drive for some and track suffering poor publicity in the past.

It's a new era for BMXSQ and I wish the new committee all the best and hope this format survives as it is a great series!

Manic_Schizo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
Yeah, also hoping that it kicks off the year with some great events and great racing.

Cyclops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »
It's a great series but could be improved by using transponders and having finals.

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
It's a great series but could be improved by using transponders and having finals.

I agree transponders would be great for the shootout, better still at every track, the problem is for clubs being able to afford the setup of at least $7900, perhaps our governing body could assist, and not just by offering a cheaper option?

In regards to finals, I am fine either way, with the series being in the heat of summer the 5 races are enough, you just need to look at the Beenleigh round of 2013...a very hot day.  I heard many suggest a true twilight meet, but hard with 300+ noms, especially for sprockets.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:34:15 PM by Big Block »

Aussieruss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Hi Guys.

Two questions.

Is this shootout similar to the annual Victorian TrackAttack series where we race 6 race meets over a 9 day period or is it over a longer timeframe?

Are transponders normally used for open meets in QLD?
(We held our last non transponder open meet this year after riders were given 2 years notice that all future open meets events would be run by transponder in Vic)

Just curious as to if/how other states are taking advantage of technology.

Russ...

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
Hi Guys.

Two questions.

Is this shootout similar to the annual Victorian TrackAttack series where we race 6 race meets over a 9 day period or is it over a longer timeframe?

Are transponders normally used for open meets in QLD?
(We held our last non transponder open meet this year after riders were given 2 years notice that all future open meets events would be run by transponder in Vic)

Just curious as to if/how other states are taking advantage of technology.

Russ...
Russ, shootout is similar to track attack, but is held at 6 tracks over this year 10 weeks, to qualify for overall you must complete in 5 of the rounds, and 1 round has double points(randomly chosen at round 5)

I would love to see transponders here in QLD and kudos to Vic for having implemented, I know several clubs would struggle if forced down yo them....time will tell I guess what way the governing body goes here.

Munchkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
In Vic each club had to put the loops and wiring in place, the actual timing equipment belongs to BMXV and they bring to each open.so cost to club was reasonable to install.

race69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
for me the shoot out series is mind numbing and boring, nothing has changed in this series for a lot of years to bring some interest to actually following this series, they had the start ramp comp but this was dropped,
yes the Victorian series is one to do but to far to travel, and the Victorian state has a great outlook on where the sport is going, look at transponders wow. didn't Queensland hire these to other clubs ?????
i have suggested changes to the shoot out series in the past but they fell on deaf ears, EG Novice (if they have to run this class) for them to run on flats, A and B finals, drop the 5 motos time trials (o sorry you need transponders for this)
But in saying this they get the numbers to this event so I may not see what other people see.   and for the committee of the day running this event for the time they did, well i don't know how they done it.
what is the biggest class in this series Pro and guess why $$$$$$$$. my boys have boxes of trophy's with only a few of their favorites on display, non of which are from the shoot outs,
well lucky they are both in Pro now and the $$$$ may drives us to attend again.   

bmxbandit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
A.  It does not cost $7900 to set up your club for transponders.  Most tracks can be set up for around $400.  Everything else comes in the kit that you šan arrange to use via BMXQ.

B.  transponders have been in use for at least three years in the other zones.  In C.Q for example every open day bar one has used them for the last two to three years.

It is not a question of it being difficult .  It is a change in people's thinking that is required.

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
Thanks bmxbandit

A: for me was based this information- http://bmxq.org.au/attachments/article/960/BMXQ_TransponderPresentaton2013.pdf 

B. Very envious, look forward to this being the case in SEQ! 

I have heard that BMXSQ had considered buy their own full setup which would be great in my opinion.

bmxbandit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
Yes the link refers to the requirements were you to purchase a system which quite a few clubs are doing.

The sport needs to move forward by making ownership of a transponder compulsory just like carting etc.  people will whinge like mad but they don't want to stand and do lines either.

Participation at the state championships should require personal transponder ownership in say 2015, that would be a good start IMO.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:21:39 PM by bmxbandit »

bigkid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
well i like the shoot series,some really tough racing and every race counts..can't wait for round 2..as for Vic.6 races in 9 days? you can have that!!!! to hard for this old fella.ha!
i guess transponders will be compulsory sooner or later.thats ok it will be good for the sport and for self development.cost is a bit high when there are a few family members involved and riding 2 classes..

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »
well i like the shoot series,some really tough racing and every race counts..can't wait for round 2..as for Vic.6 races in 9 days? you can have that!!!! to hard for this old fella.ha!
i guess transponders will be compulsory sooner or later.thats ok it will be good for the sport and for self development.cost is a bit high when there are a few family members involved and riding 2 classes..

You can buy a lot of zip ties for the price of a second transponder. Just use the same one on both bikes. Pine Rivers has/is installing a transponder system and will run all their events (including club nights) with transponders. You will be able to hire a transponder, byo or run without and not be scored. 

Big Block

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »

Rod there is also the cheaper option of yearly rental, think cost was $50 each, so after 5 uses it is free, if you assume $10 per transponder nom?