Author Topic: Junior Cruisers - what's the point?  (Read 6750 times)

dugga

• View Profile
Junior Cruisers - what's the point?
« on: September 27, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
OK putting it out there for comment.... why are there junior cruiser classes? The reason cruisers were invented in the early 80s was to allow larger, older dudes a chance to ride BMX. Now we have 8-10 cruiser classes? If kids want to ride another class why not have voucher or better yet increase the moto count to five. The philosophy behind cruiser class seems to have become forgotten and junior cruiser classes seem under-subscribed anyway. Is it just a way to separate parents from more money or a a trophy hunting exercise?
Discuss....  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:30:56 PM by dugga »

Big Block

• View Profile
Re: Junior Cruisers - what's the point?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »
Valid question Dugga, I know a few kids that ride both, and it usually comes down to a few things, either:

* They just love riding and want to race more?
* They choose cruiser to have a more enjoyable BMX experience, less numbers meaning a better chance of a good result, and enjoying racing?
* Riding 1 class with say 4 races in the space of upto 5 hours can be boring perhaps?

BMXRACERS13

• When only ONE can do!
    • View Profile
    • ONE Bicycles
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
My kids all raced two bikes for track time, bike time and fitness, Cruiser class is something that super competitive kids like to do to try and fulfil that BMX craving for racing and competiveness,

As they get older the Champbikx and Dynamite Series limits them at major events as it can become too much on the bike and the cruiser class is not as important to them. My youngest two still ride cruiser at states and Opens, sometimes at Aussies depending on the format. As both will be riding Champbikx for a while, it does make it super tough to ride cruiser all the time.

Hope we don't see cruiser class ever taken away, it allows riders an opportunity to be versatile on a track.
ONE Bicycles Australia would like to thank ONE, SNAP, Lizard Skins, ECI, Bikecorp and A Team Distribution for all their support.

BMXmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Our kids started racing Cruiser because we have to travel interstate for race meets as our tracks are closed up in the NT for the wet season, this gave our kids More race time and more value for money when traveling away as some race meets are only a one day event so if they race cruiser also it makes the event more worthwhile to travel over 3000km for.

fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
Both Harry and Hayden rode jnr cruiser a few yrs back, it was all about track time and fitness.

At the worlds this year, I rekon the cruiser classes put on some of the best racing I have ever seen :)

Moggy361

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
OK putting it out there for comment.... why are there junior cruiser classes? The reason cruisers were invented in the early 80s was to allow larger, older dudes a chance to ride BMX. Now we have 8-10 cruiser classes? If kids want to ride another class why not have voucher or better yet increase the moto count to five. The philosophy behind cruiser class seems to have become forgotten and junior cruiser classes seem under-subscribed anyway. Is it just a way to separate parents from more money or a a trophy hunting exercise?
Discuss....   

Don't know about old blokes bitd. I rode a cruiser for a year aged 13 back in 1984!  Got NZ9 that year. Good fun.

GT Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
My boy races both 20" & cruiser. He currently rides in 8-10's.

I gave him the option to race voucher as well as his 20" but he chose cruiser.

Yes it means an extra bike to cart around & extra cost but I don't really care. He is having fun. To be honest I reckon he rides the cruiser better than his 20".

My daughter will get the same choice when she is old enough.

I choose to ride 20" & Cruiser. I feel kids should have the same choice.